Amelia Smith's 5 Top Tips For Home Workouts
Hi everyone! Okay so I’m Amelia and I’m a trainer at Barry’s in Manchester. Fitness being a complete obsession of mine, it only seemed fitting that I should pursue it as a career and this is exactly what I did about a year and a half ago. Ever since then I have been at Barry’s and if you have ever done a Barry’s you would understand why, the community is an amazing thing to be a part of!
Going from doing 4/5 Barry’s a week, which is strength and cardio interval training, to not having any facilities available has been a real struggle. I’ve had to adapt the way I train, be a lot more mindful of what I eat and resist the urge to binge Netflix all day. I am also a huge advocate for exercise impacting your mental well-being so staying fit at home is super important. In this blog I will be explaining how I’ve switched up my training and give you guys my 5 top tips for a home workout.
Home workouts can be just as effective as a gym session, it all depends on your approach and mindset. With all of us having to stay home, motivation can be real low. The main thing to do is to stick to some form of routine and not just fall into a habit of watching Disney+ all day, which I have been guilty of but it’s all about balance! Just by hitting at least a 30 minute workout each day will boost not only your energy but your overall morale tool. Exercise is key for a positive mindset - so even if you’ve never been into exercise beforehand, now is the perfect time to get started!
My top tips for home workouts would be:
- Get up and get zoned in. Routine is so key, if you don’t wake up until late you’ll find you feel a lot more lethargic and less willing to get a home workout done. Wake up at a decent time and get the workout done at least an hour after waking up.
- Make it feel like a gym environment. Put your favourite gym kit on, grab your headphones or blast some music and get a water bottle. Make it feel like you are going to do your workout. Try to use an area with a good amount of space, with no mess or clutter.
- Plan ahead & make use of the live workouts available. There are so many options to take part in live home workouts. So plan which workout you are going to do the night before you do it. Write down a workout, screen shot some exercises you’ve seen on Instagram, watch YouTube videos, find your inspo. If you do all of this, you won’t waste time just sitting there trying to figure out what to do. Most companies are posting their live schedule ahead of time, so make use of them to plan your week. Barry’s has live full body workouts available throughout the week, doing these live workouts means you don’t have to think of your own workout and have someone encouraging you to give you that extra push!
- Try something different & mix it up. We all have so much free time on our hands now, so why not try something different? If you have never tried yoga, find a live workout and give it a go! There are only so many body weight exercises we can do and I am really starting to hate squat jumps. So if you do the same workout each day you will soon get bored and be more likely to skip your workouts. I live on the 41st floor and a few times a week I will walk all of those stairs. Run a few flights, walk a few, double step a few flights, mix it up, Try to find a way to work out and the most important part is to make it enjoyable! Make use of any equipment you do have. If you have watched my Barry’s live you will have seen me use my French Bulldog, Hughie, as a weight! You have to think outside the box.
- Set a goal. Make the most of this time we have and try to achieve something. Create a little positivity. If you can’t do a push up, make that your goal. Practice everyday, build your strength up and in no time you will hit that first full rep.
I hope these tips are useful, I know I follow these daily and they have helped me keep a strong home workout routine going. If anyone needs help with workout ideas, do not hesitate to drop me a message on my Instagram, I am happy to send you over a workout to try!
Stay safe & healthy, Amelia x
Now you're feeling super motivated, click here to shop our activewear!